Let’s get you ready for Capstone at WVU, and Pulsar Camp this summer! We’ll be online May 1 from 3:00 PM Eastern till about 8:00 PM – Join us for all or part. We will use our Zoom link to connect.
- If you’re having trouble getting through the tests, we’ll help you! Guaranteed that you will be certified by the end of the session.
- If you want to get your 50 data sets under your belt with some good company to answer your questions, join us1 You can get a lot done in a short amount of time with some friends to help along the way.
- Win goofy prizes!
Hey all, check out this video from Dr. Maura on RRATs- you might discover one of these in your data! https://vimeo.com/266778122
Happy new year! We are so excited to begin another year of discovery with you all. We would like to kick off the year with a guest lecture on the recent discoveries of gravitational waves by LIGO by WVU graduate student Belinda Cheeseboro. Belinda has been an author on the recent discovery papers and will tell you all you need to know about the greatest discovery of this century so far! She will talk for about 20-25 minutes, followed by time for questions.
Want to see the data we analyze? Go to the Database and take a look! If it looks like “Wha?” ……we promise you will be an expert after our training.
We will again be offering the PSC for WVU credit this year. This is a fantastic opportunity for students to get three credits under their belt before starting college, and to have a tangible reward for their PSC work.
- Please read the course syllabus carefully to determine if you are eligible, and would like to enroll.
- The fee will be $153 for the three-credit course. The first step for students is to fill out this registration form: http://k12.wvu.edu/Access/Forms/application.pdf and fax it to the number on the form. The CRN is 19076 and course name is ASTR 293A. We’d like to get all of the registrations in before the end of the year, if possible.
- Also, if you do sign students up, please let Maura know so she can stay on top of the applications and make sure they get through the system in time (maura.mclaughlin-at- mail.wvu.edu).
A new header item (Bios) on the PSC homepage will link you to short bios with photos from past/present PSC students and mentors. Bios will be updated on a bi-weekly basis; the latest is brought to you by Jamie — now a senior at Columbia University.
Our intrepid pulsar sleuths may have uncovered some pulsar gold! We will be holding a followup session on 2-3 new pulsar candidates this Thursday night– starting at 10:45 PM. Would you like to call in to the control room and find out how it’s going?
If you would like to be on site for the session, that could probably be arranged as well. We have several students joining us who discovered the candidates. We’d be happy to host a few more!
Send an email to Sue Ann at sheather-at-nrao.edu, and I’ll tell you how to connect!
Saira Blair, Hedgesville High student, and PSC member won the WV Republican primary to become a Delegate to the WV Legislature! I don’t think the PSC can take credit for that but we sure are proud of her initiative! Way to go Saira! Read more here.
We only had 3 students enroll, and so unfortunately we have decided to cancel Campstone for this summer. We feel bereft, not having a PSC experience this summer though, so we thought we might host a weekend experience in September. I’d like to hear from you– let me know if you think it is a good idea, and you would be interested in coming. We are thinking of September 19,20,21. The 21st is our annual open house, and you would have some great opportunities to tour the labs and meet the scientists and engineers, machinists, and mechanics who work at the NRAO.
Send a quick email to Sue Ann at sheather-at-nrao.edu subject line: PSC weekend, and say I’m in if you are interested in coming.
Here we are! This is the new home for the PSC: pulsarsearchcollaboratory.org (pulsarsearchcollaboratory.com will still work too). One of the features of this new website is that we have a forum! We hope this will replace the old mode of communicating through the pulsarsearchcollaboratory.com email. If you use the forum to talk about plots or other PSC related stuff, then all PSC members will see it. But I think that is wonderful, as there is so much expertise in the PSC group.We have also jettisoned the school pages. If you desire to use the old google site, it has not disappeared, but we will not be updating it. Go to: https://sites.google.com/a/pulsarsearchcollaboratory.com/pulsar-search-collaboratory/Home…
~ Sue Ann