Hey Everyone! Check out the WVU podcast on PSC and our students!
I will be online with Zoom on Monday, November 19 from 3:00-5:00 PM, to give support if you are a new PSC member who needs help with your certification tests, or want to analyze data with others! We will have some “door” prizes to hand out so join us!
Jocelyn Bell Burnell, discoverer of the first pulsars in 1967, and 2018 winner of the Special Breakthrough Prize in Fundamental Physics, will speak tonight at the Perimeter Institute. n You can catch her talk on YouTube live! https://youtu.be/88qeF1j9_b0
or on the Perimeter Institute homepage:
The title of her talk is “What is that?!” The Discovery of Pulsars: A Grad Student’s Story.
We have a google folder with PSC Camp pictures taken by Joseph now available for you to see and add to. Log into the forum to get the link!
We have students from PA, CA, FL, WI, MD, DC, and WV! Today is seminar day–we’re hearing some lectures from grad students and professors this morn. This afternoon will be our poster session.
Teachers and students who qualify for capstone also qualify for camp. Have you applied? If not, even though the deadline is past, you can apply this week and we will consider your application.
Let’s get you ready for Capstone at WVU, and Pulsar Camp this summer! We’ll be online May 1 from 3:00 PM Eastern till about 8:00 PM – Join us for all or part. We will use our Zoom link to connect.
- If you’re having trouble getting through the tests, we’ll help you! Guaranteed that you will be certified by the end of the session.
- If you want to get your 50 data sets under your belt with some good company to answer your questions, join us1 You can get a lot done in a short amount of time with some friends to help along the way.
- Win goofy prizes!
Hey all, check out this video from Dr. Maura on RRATs- you might discover one of these in your data! https://vimeo.com/266778122
Hoover Pulsars Team member Sam Jett analyzed 39 data sets yesterday during our Data Marathon! He has already qualified for Capstone and pulsar Camp! Justin from Team OPS came in second with 11 data sets under his belt. Way to go! Sathyia from the GB Science Team also passed a critical milestone by passing both pulsar tests while we were online.
Let’s get you qualified for Capstone AND PSC Camp and help our astronomers out at the same time! We’re gonna be on Zoom tomorrow, April 10 from 3:00-8:00 PM Eastern! If you have not yet passed the pulsar tests, join us. We’ll help you! IF you need to get some data scored, join us! We can answer your questions. Did I mention there will be prizes? Did I mention a wind-up Chewbacca? Hope to see you tomorrow!
Teachers AND students who are joining us for our certification workshop this month:
1. We held a Teacher Informational meeting last week, which has been posted. If you didn’t make that meeting, check it out.
2. Tomorrow, we will host an optional technical check in at 7 PM using Zoom. Look for an email telling you how to connect. We will show you around the two websites we will be using, and the forum where you will post homework, and have discussions with each other and the PSC astronomers. We will meet by Zoom every week during the workshop.
3. By the end of this week we will post week one materials – a few short intro videos to watch, and a homework assignment. Our official FIRST workshop meeting will be Thursday, February 15 at 7 PM using Zoom. We would like to have a discussion about the week one videos and homework – so do week one work BEFORE the meeting on the 15th. then we repeat this structure every week. If you miss a week, just keep up with the work and post to the forum, we will always be there and ready to help!